Foreign Credentials

United States Credentials

If you have received your training and credentials from the United States, then you may not need to obtain Canadian credentials, if your training institute is accredited. A list of accredited American programs and institutions is available at the U.S. Department of Education.

Cross-Canada Credentials

You may be unable to work in your profession in Ontario until you are licensed or certified by the provincial accreditation body – engineers should contact the PEO and tradespersons should contact Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities to determine their status. The Province of Ontario recognizes only accredited Canadian institutions.

International Credentials

To work in your profession in Sarnia-Lambton, you may need to have your international qualifications assessed to make sure they meet the required standards in Ontario. This assessment will look at your:

  • Education
  • Training
  • Job Experience

An assessment will take time and cost money. You may be required to complete examinations, test or provide proof of your language skills, and\or take additional training

Many professional regulatory organizations and post-secondary institutions run their own academic assessment processes. Contact the regulatory organization responsible for your occupation to find out where you should have your qualifications assessed.

You can view the lists of regulated professions and regulated trades to find out which organizations you will need to contact and what steps you will need to take in order to work in your profession in Sarnia-Lambton.

Even if your occupation is not regulated in Ontario, you may still need to have your qualifications assessed to show an employer that you are qualified.

Accurate information related to Canada’s labour market and credential assessment process for internationally trained and educated workers can be obtained from the Foreign Credentials Referral Office (FCRO). These services are offered overseas and in Canada to help immigrants apply their skills and credentials in the Canadian labour market.

The following organizations can evaluate your education, training and job experience that you have completed outside of Canada. Contact the organization to find out more about their services and fees.

More Information:

Access Centre for Regulated Employment – provides information and application assistance to internationally trained individuals seeking licensure or related employment in Ontario’s regulated professions

Ontario Network for Internationally Trained Professionals – provides an overview of licensing processes, information about sector councils, and networking opportunities with other professionals in your field. – Information on regulated professions and trades