The decision to leave your home country and come to Sarnia-Lambton (Canada) is life changing. Once that decision is made and you have been accepted to immigrate to Sarnia-Lambton, it is important to know what you need to do before you leave home
1) It is important to know what documents you need to bring with you to Canada
To enter Canada, you will need to present the following documents:
- A Canadian immigrant visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence for each family member travelling with you;
- A valid passport or other travel document for each family member travelling with you;
- Two (2) copies of a detailed list of all the personal or household items you are bringing with you; and
- Two (2) copies of a list of items that are arriving later and their monetary value.
- Upon arrival, get a Canada Border Services Agency form to list your items.
Additional documents you may need in Canada include:
- Birth certificates or baptismal certificates
- Marriage certificates
- Adoption, separation or divorce papers
- School records, diplomas or degrees for each family member traveling with you
- Trade or professional certificates and licences
- Letters of reference from former employers
- A list of your educational and professional qualifications and job experience (for your résumé) immunization, vaccination, dental and other health records for each family member
- Photocopies of all essential and important documents, in case the originals get lost (be sure to keep the photocopies in a separate place from the originals)
- Car registration documents (if you are importing a motor vehicle into Canada)
It is recommended that all newcomers get their documents translated into English or French by a qualified translator before you leave for Canada.
2) Prepare yourself to find work in Sarnia-Lambton
- Research your Occupation. Find out whether you need:
- Academic and\or professional credentials recognized
- Find out if your occupation is regulated
- Sarnia-Lambton Labour Market
- Learn how to find job opportunities in Sarnia-Lambton
3) Improve your English or French language skills.
- Look into taking English or French lessons in your home country prior to arriving in Canada or in Sarnia-Lambton
4) Find a place to live
- It is important to know what temporary and permanent housing options exist in Sarnia-Lambton
- Identify which region of Sarnia-Lambton you would like to relocate to
5) Learn about money and banking in Canada
- Setting up a bank Account
- It is a good idea to bring some Canadian money with you.
6) What can I bring with me into Canada?
- There are strict laws about what you can bring in to Canada. Make sure you understand what items are allowed and what are not allowed.
7) Consider buying private health insurance
- Health insurance is advisable for the time you are traveling and for the short period before you become eligible for Canada’s medicare system.
8) Consider the season and weather you will find when you arrive
- Know what clothing you will need
The Citizenship and Immigration Canada website includes “Welcome to Canada: What You Should Know” – a guide that lists everything you will need to know before you leave your country.