Before You Can Work In Canada

There are two items that you need if you want to work in Canada.

Social Insurance Number (SIN)

You must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada. A SIN is a nine-digit number you need to work or to receive Canadian government services. Your SIN number is personal and should be kept confidential; each person has a unique SIN number. Visit Service Canada’s website for information on how to get a Social Insurance Number.

Work Permit

If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, you need to be authorized to work in Canada. In most situations, you will need a work permit. For more information on who is eligible and how to apply for a temporary work permit, visit:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website.

More information: